Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bring on the mushies!

I just had my three week post op appointment on Thursday and everything is great. The best news of all is I have graduated to mushies and soft foods!!!!! I get to eat more things of substance like cottage cheese, eggs, and fish. I can’t tell you how excited I am to start getting back to eating somewhat normal. After two weeks I can start introducing “real” foods one by one for about 4 days and then I get my first fill. My doctor asked me to write everything down that I eat a week before I have my first fill so he knows how much saline to put in. I guess this makes sense because if I am able to eat a lot then he would put more saline in to make it tighter to help me eat less. I am getting a little nervous for that first fill because I have successfully gone this long without throwing up and I hear when you get your first fill it takes a little bit to get adjusted to how much will actually fit in there. But, I have a few more weeks until that time. I told my doctor it is a little unfair to finally get to eating real foods and then immediately have to go back to liquids… you see once you have your fill you have to go back on liquids for 48 hours. I think it is a little bit of a tease but oh well.

I was getting a little frustrated that I am still holding steady at the 20 pound weight loss but when I talked to my nurse she said that most people don’t even lose weight for the first 6 weeks it is more about healing the body then losing the weight. She also told me that once I got my first fill I should start seeing the pounds come off more steadily so that is encouraging. I also got the ok to start working out again YAY! I think that I should start seeing some decrease in weight come back when I start going to the gym after work again.


The hardest thing now is understanding portion control. I still have it in my mind that I can eat a lot more then I actually can. I thought for sure the other night that I could eat a small can of soup with no problem because I was starving. Halfway through I couldn’t eat another bite. It just amazes me because before surgery I could have eaten a whole large can of soup all by myself with crackers and cheese and not be stuffed. It is such a mental thing to get around. But going back to the whole throwing up thing I am being very careful not to overdue. I need to make my grocery list because a lot of stuff that I can eat these next two weeks I don’t have. My fridge looks pretty bare since all I was able to eat before was pudding, jello, and yogurt. I don’t think I will be having pudding for some time now I can’t even think about it anymore. I will keep you all posted on how the mushies are coming along and how my first week back to the gym goes! Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment